Sarah Cooper, whose new book 100 Tricks To Appear Smarter In Meetings comes out later this year, shares some tips to help you translate what your co-workers are really saying in those meetings.
Among the most important:
- “This wasn’t on my calendar” = I deleted this from my calendar
- “Can you repeat that?” = I was looking at Facebook
- “To your earlier point…” = I’m kissing your ass
- “Definitely” = Probably not
- “Can I ask a quick question?” = We are going to be here awhile
- “Thanks for bringing that up” = You’re going to regret bringing that up
- “I’ll set a reminder to follow up on that” = You will never hear from me or see me again
You can read the rest of her great tips here.