SAINT JOHN – The Fifth Annual Burger Week is taking place April 30 – May 6 in Uptown Saint John. There are two new participating restaurants, with Gahan House and Kebab House now part of a bustling uptown restaurant and bar scene.
Nancy Tissington, executive director of Uptown Saint John, says the chefs get “innovative” with their burger recipes to create something special for this once-a-year event.
The participating restaurants are listed on the Uptown Saint John web site, and they’re beginning to post the burgers they’ll be creating this year. Amongst the choices this year:
- Britts Surf and Turf Burger: “A house beef patty paired with sautéed jumbo shrimp and juicy grilled pineapple, topped with crispy jalapeño, chipotle mayo, cheddar cheese, lettuce and tomato. Served on a cracked black pepper, sesame seed bun.”
- Decimal 81 Chicken and Waffle Burger: “Buttermilk Fried Chicken, Smoked Pork Belly, Manchego Cheese, Chipotle Orange Sauce, Waffle Bun.”
- Grannan’s Dungeness Crab Burger: “Pan seared house made jumbo crab cake, Jarlsberg cheese, smokey tartar sauce, arugula, tomato and pickled red onion.”
- Taste of Egypt Tandoori Paneer Burger: “Paneer, Roasted Veggies, Tandoori Spice and Mushroom Matar Puree on a toasted Kaiser with Mango Coulis.”
- East Coast Bistro Dessert Burger: “Chocolate cremeux patty, white chocolate cheese, raspberry ketchup, passion fruit mustard & kiwi pickle on a sugar doughnut bun.”
The annual event grows more popular each year, leaving restaurants unsure of how much meat they should order, says Tissington.
“How many [people] are we going to attract?” she says they ask themselves. “When are we going to run out? I’ve only ordered [so many] pounds of beef.”