The Senior Public Affairs Specialist will be responsible for managing public affairs across all areas of the business as required, including a focus on community relations, media relations and corporate social responsibilities.
- Coordinate and lead the development of strategies to address Public Affairs (PA) issues impacting our business, and working collaboratively with various teams to inform, advocate, coordinate, and support as required.
- Build and manage key external community stakeholder relationships.
- Manage public relations consultants and associated budgets.
- Manage Media Relations efforts, including proactive media relations and incident management, preparation and action on media releases and Q&A’s; media interviews; interviews with spokespeople; responses to media inquiries; and speaking on behalf of the company.
- Manage the planning, budgeting, and execution of the company’s corporate giving programs and cause-related initiatives, including cause-related communications strategies and materials for community and public relations events.
- Supporting the overall objectives of Public Affairs team as required.
- Provide guidance to business line managers and executive team.
- Support growth initiatives, incidents and associated ongoing public/media relations opportunities across the company.
- Support corporate social responsibility (CSR) and sustainability initiatives and planning.
- Coordinate and support employee engagement efforts associated with CSR activities.
- Ability to plan as well as to respond to unplanned issues and events.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, fluid, multi-tasking environment.
- Excellent interpersonal, collaborative, and relationship-building skills.
- Prior government or public/media relations preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communications, analytical, research, understanding of business principles and drivers.
- Will require flexibility and ability to travel
Education & Experience:
- University degree in a related discipline (e.g. English, Business, Political Science, etc.)
- 5-10 years of progressive experience, including at least five years in a similar role; energy industry experience preferred.