Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the NBSA, including financial administration, policy development, external communications, and member and stakeholder relations. They will serve as the primary spokesperson and support the Board of Directors in engaging government, partners, and the media to advance the NBSA’s mandate. The ideal candidate will bring a strong background in leadership, including an ability to build consensus, experience with strategic planning and reporting, strong political acumen, and sound judgment.
- Uphold the will of the Board of Directors, the Strategic Plan, the Annual Plan, the budget, and minutes of Board of Directors meetings
- Provide assistance and guidance to the Board of Directors in developing short- and long-range plans, goals, and measurable results indicators
- Prepare and coordinate research for policy development and advocacy
- Act as the NBSA’s primary official spokesperson; maintain engagement with government officials, other student organizations, and other external groups
- Supervise and manage NBSA staff, as the case may be
- Manage the NBSA’s finances in cooperation with the Chair and in accordance with legislation and the organization’s internal policies
- Ensure that all NBSA files and records are maintained in accordance with legislation and the organization’s internal policies
- Prepare regular (monthly) reports to the Board of Directors regarding activities pursued and results obtained by the NBSA and assist with annual reporting
- Assist the Board of Directors in the improvement of the NBSA’s internal governance
- Other duties as directed by the Board of Directors
(Full list of duties detailed in NBSA Management Policy 5)
- Master’s degree in public policy, political studies, social sciences, or a comparable field of study. Equivalent education and or work experience in lieu would be considered
- Functional bilingualism (English/French), especially oral comprehension (equivalent of BBB)
- Strong leadership abilities, including: consensus-building, impeccable communication skills, and relationship management with diverse stakeholders
- Experience with all aspects of strategic planning from development to reporting
- Ability to manage competing deadlines and responsibilities
- Financial administration experience, including drafting budgets and reporting
- Experience conducting research and drafting policy
- Understanding of New Brunswick political context and postsecondary issues
- Valid driver’s licence
- Experience in government relations or working directly with decision-makers, including senior departmental officials, legislators, and Cabinet ministers
- Substantive knowledge of/or experience working with student organisations
- Familiarity with appropriate communications tools and applications including Microsoft Office and Google suites, Dropbox, WordPress, and MailChimp
- Strong social media skills, with preferred experience managing organisational accounts on Twitter and Facebook
Leadership, Stakeholder relations, Staff Management, Financial Administration, Responsible, Spokesperson, Strategic Planning, Policy & Research, Political Analysis, Communication (Written, Oral, Online)
The New Brunswick Student Alliance (NBSA) is the most important voice for students in New Brunswick, representing almost 13,000 postsecondary students across New Brunswick at the College of Craft & Design, Mount Allison University, St. Thomas University, and the University of New Brunswick’s Fredericton and Saint John campuses.
In working to establish a New Brunswick’s postsecondary education sector where any qualified student can attain a high-quality education while enjoying an exceptional quality of life, we conduct research and draft evidence-based policy to form recommendations to government. We work closely with government, university administrators, faculty representatives, the media, and various partner organizations to keep student issues at the forefront of public discussion and to make their priorities a reality.
Duration of Employment: Two years with option for renewal.
Hours of Work: 40 hours/week. Some evenings, weekends, and travel required.
Compensation: $42,000—$44,000 per annum, commensurate with qualifications and experience; full health and dental benefits; professional development opportunities; work from home flexibility; competitive leave package.
Apply by October 9, 2017.