WORKING AT NBIF
At the New Brunswick Innovation Foundation (NBIF), we strive to change the world one idea at a time. We make dreams come true by enabling innovators to turn their ideas into reality. Our talented team of professionals share a can-do attitude and rely on teamwork to support our clients and to solve complex problems each day. Together we make a significant impact and share a desire to transform our community, all while gaining a breadth of knowledge and experience that’s beyond compare.
At NBIF, innovation is more than a buzzword, innovation is our business. No one day is ever the same as we work with some of the most amazing innovators and help them to realize their dreams. We offer a workplace that empowers our people to do meaningful work and to learn, grow and develop. We believe in continuous learning and refuse to accept the status quo.
You share our enthusiasm and passion for innovation and embrace a startup mindset. You are creative and thoughtful, yet thrive in an environment with competing priorities and tight deadlines. You take pride in your work, excel under pressure, and enjoy helping people. You collaborate well with others and are there to support the organization as a team player and communicator.
We are looking for a Director of Finance to join our organization. This individual will play a critical role in managing our day to day finances, as well forecasting and strategic business planning. They will be responsible for managing as well as shaping the financial health of the organization.
- Managing the finances and the accounting processes of the Foundation, including financial reporting and analysis
- Preparation of timely and accurate quarterly financial statements in accordance with GAAP for presentation to the Board of Directors
- Overseeing the bookkeeping function including general ledger maintenance and reconciliations
- Coordinating and directing the preparation of the business plan and budget, financial forecasts, and monthly status reports
- Managing internal controls and the preparation and coordination of the external audit
- Taking a lead role with the Audit & Finance Committee, ensuring the implementation of good corporate governance practices
- Developing, implementing, and ensuring compliance with internal financial and accounting policies and procedures
- Stakeholder reporting including ensuring compliance with funding organizations, data analytics firms and regulatory bodies
- Ensuring sound cash and fund management for the Foundation
- Overseeing quality control and assurance, with a focus on determining the impact and performance of NBIF’s activities
- Professional accounting designation (CPA/CA/CMA)
- 7+ years of progressive and relevant work experience
- Excellent proficiency with accounting software and Microsoft Excel
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work well under pressure, with competing deadlines, while maintaining accuracy and efficiency
- A positive attitude, open mindedness, and a commitment to achieving sustained results
- A passion for research and innovation
Established in 2003, NBIF is an independent, non-profit corporation that is building the innovation capacity of our province by making investments in applied research and in high-growth potential businesses. We bring together ideas, people and investment capital to bridge the gap between research and enterprise.
Since its inception, NBIF has invested $85 million dollars and leveraged an additional $425 million dollars in funding, all in support of innovation in New Brunswick. These investments have had significant impact on the New Brunswick economy. For every dollar invested by NBIF, $8 has been contributed to the provincial GDP and $2.60 has been generated in tax revenue. To date, NBIF has funded 470 research projects within the province’s universities, community colleges and research organization and supported the creation of over 106 for-profit companies.
This full-time position is based in Fredericton, New Brunswick. We offer a competitive salary and
benefits package based on your qualifications and experience.