DEPARTMENT OF TOURISM, HERITAGE AND CULTURE
The New Brunswick Museum (NBM), the oldest operating public museum in Canada, is seeking a dynamic leader to fill the role of Chief Executive Officer in Saint John.
The NBM was established by an Act of the New Brunswick Legislature as the provincial museum, with the mandate to research, collect, preserve and interpret the natural, human and cultural heritage of the province of New Brunswick and related regions. The Museum is governed by a Board of Directors, responsible for the planning, policy and financial management. It has over 50 full time equivalent positions in its two present facilities, one of which is a 60,000 square foot exhibit gallery. Over the next few years, the NBM will be embarking on a comprehensive facilities renewal process.
The Chief Executive Officer is accountable to the Board of Directors. His or her mandate is the management of operations and the provision of leadership in long range planning, funding development, policy and planning, public relations, service delivery and project management.
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS: The ideal candidate will possess the following skills, abilities and attributes:
- A university degree in public or business administration, history, archaeology, anthropology or any other related field of study supplemented by a minimum of eight (8) years of progressive management experience;
- Demonstrated skills and work experience in financial and project management, and in strategic planning;
- Experience in working with an appointed Board of Directors;
- Experience in coaching and managing a diverse work team;
- Strong interpersonal and public relations skills that will enhance community participation; and,
- Experience with partnership building, fundraising and community engagement is also required.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
Written and spoken competence in English and French is required. Please state your language capability.
Applicants must clearly demonstrate the essential qualifications to be given further consideration. Please ensure that preferred language for assessment is identified on your resume.
ASSET QUALIFICATIONS: Preference may be given to candidates that possess experience managing a museum and/or heritage facility or a government operated facility.
Subject to the response to this competition, candidates may be required to demonstrate on their application of the asset qualifications in addition to the essential qualifications in order to be given further consideration.
EXECUTIVE LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES: The successful candidate will possess the following behavioral competencies:
- Coaching and Team Development
- Organizational Awareness
- Organizational Commitment
- Relationship Building
- Results Orientation
- Strategic Thinking
Resumes should be in chronological order specifying education and employment in months and years including part-time and full-time employment. This competition may be used to fill future vacancies at the same level.
SALARY: $90,766 to $102,206 annually